Fate is Chance. Destiny is Choice.

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Another Week Gone By

So, it's another week gone by in this term and I feel more stressed than ever but I'm feeling slightly more optimistic as I have all the reading I need for one of my essays and I've got 4 days to work on everything. It feels quite lonely here in York sometimes, especially when I've got free days and I want to talk to my family/boyfriend/friends. It does sometimes feel as if everyone is doing their own thing and can't really find the time to talk - especially my sister as I haven't heard from her (not one text) since I was at home 3 weeks ago. Perhaps it's just teenage hormones but sometimes it can be quite hurtful because my life isn't as full as it could be at the moment - all I seem to do is either work, watch TV/films and go to lectures etc. It does give you time to think too much and I can be my own worst enemy sometimes stressing and missing people who aren't here.

I've got a slight problem with one of my housemates which kind of started last term, she just seems to be kind of cold towards me and talks more to our other housemate (who is fine with me). I've done nothing to upset her as far as I can see, and it's causing a certain kind of worry because it's almost impossible to relax when she's in the same room, she definitely doesn't always bother to talk to me or even ask how I'm doing (I ask her how she is so it's a bit crap). The stupid thing is that because we were quite friendly before, I feel as though I need to make an extra effort to make sure she's happy with me, it's a vicious cycle as it just makes me feel rejected if she doesn't seem very interested in what I have to say etc.

Having said that, I'm trying my best not to let it get to me, although it does because it sometimes feels like I'm the odd one out since the other housemate and her are very friendly indeed. Some people seem so judgemental, just because I'm deaf doesn't mean I don't notice things or that I'm left out of what's happening in the world or around me. Both of them are very into music and so am I, but when I want to talk about stuff I like or try to join in when they are talking about music, it sometimes seems as though this particular housemate can't understand how/why I like music so much..it's bloody annoying as I LOVE music.

Being at Uni has made me realise how difficult it is for deaf people to interact with the world around them, especially in social situations. I mean, the people you live with should be more understanding about everything because you've explained things to them but they can sometimes be the worst at communicating as they become so complacent about being able to talk to each other - that they don't even attempt to repeat things. I hate being told 'it's not important' or 'it doesn't matter' - I mean, most people would feel crap being told that anyway.

I find it hard to ask people to repeat themselves sometimes as the flow of conversation sometimes makes it impossible - so it's a case of being told the short version afterwards or having to constantly stop people and ask what's happening. Very frustrating, as sometimes I feel I rely too much on particular people - like my boyfriend or my mum to explain things to me - as I can lipread them better out of most people I know (apart from my sister).

Anyway...I just needed to get that off my chest :)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home