Fate is Chance. Destiny is Choice.

Monday, October 31, 2005

A Couple of Thoughts

Hey, I've been neglecting this blog for a while, mainly because a) Real life beckons and b) I've got a case of disillusionment with computers and the internet in general. I mean, generally, I enjoy using the internet, and I think computers are invaluable, especially when you're a student and need to do a lot of research and write a lot of essays. I also love the fact that you can buy things online, although I'll come to why this is a bad thing in a minute. I think there are a lot of great resources on the web, and I regularly (like most car-less students) use the Tescos website for my weekly food shop. It's great for finding out practical information, like where things are, how much things are and reviews of things, not to mention mundane essential things like when your local swimming times are.

However, I've found that the internet somehow disconnects you from real life, from the reality and sensuality of the world around you. I mean, it's all very well buying a perfume from an online store, but how do you know what it smells like or even if you will like it? How do you know that the particular pair of trousers you are buying will actually fit perfectly? The internet also encourages people to buy more; like most things in this consumerist world we live in, the more access people get to things they can buy, the more they will feel encouraged to buy. I'm definitely no angel, and I'm not saying that this is bad - especially if you have the money. But there lies the problem - being a student, with rent, train tickets, bills and food to buy, there is enough temptation without such easy access to those extras: clothes, dvds, books, shoes, etc etc.

It's not just internet shopping that disconnects you from reality. When I was a teenager (not that long ago, I'm almost 21), I formed some really good friendships on the internet, especially via Bolt.com - and also reinforced some of my older relationships with real life friends. However, the bolt chatroom world and the constant MSN world somehow made me lose track of reality, of common-sense and I ended up feeling like people in places as far away as America could be true, honest and lifelong friends.

Of course, some of them definitely did end up as lifelong friends, particularly my boyfriend, I'm talking more about people who are extremely far away. It's not a bad thing to talk to different people, but starting to feel too emotionally involved with their lives and feelings was quite draining, especially being a teenager. It also got me too caught up, so that most of my evenings were spent on the computer. When I met my boyfriend, it was the point at which I became more engaged with reality, more engaged with the sensuality of the world. I think when you find people who make life happier and more interesting, life becomes more than just existing.

I think one of my biggest fears is that everything will end up being about technology and the internet and computerized things. To me, the internet is a tool for us to use, but life should not become revolved around computers, because human contact is such a fundamentally important part of life. If we stopped talking to people, stopped interacting with people on a face to face level, we would become nothing but robots, and the technology that we have ironically engineered to 'help' us would become our oppressor. There is only so much that technology should be allowed to do.

Anyway, having said that, everything has a dark side. I've always thought that there is good and evil in the world and there is plenty grey area in between that. As I've said before, I like reading/watching the battle between good and evil. If everything was perfect then it would be boring but there is a certain limit, and a fine balance between good and bad. You can call me disillusioned, I certainly am in particular respects but I think everyone is cynical to some extent about what our world has become. I do appreciate the good things in life though! :-D

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home