Fate is Chance. Destiny is Choice.

Thursday, November 17, 2005

A Couple of Random Things...

Well..it's been a while since I've posted on this blog, mostly because of my sort of hectic life. I say sort of because although my weekends are kept busy, the weeks are kind of disjointed because my timetable means that I have Uni on Mondays and Thursdays and three days are free, it feels a little strange sometimes. I mean, if I don't have much work to do, then it can get a little boring because everyone else is busy and I've finished watching Charmed series 3 (yep, I'm onto series three now!), and it's kind of hard to think of things to do beside watch TV, read or go for walks (and I'm sure I've walked everywhere it's possible to walk around here!!). Having said that, I'm not complaining because some people have less time to chill out than I do so I suppose I'm lucky in a way.

It's 2 weeks til I'm 21 tomorrow exactly so I'm sort of thinking about what I want to do with my life at this point. I mean, I absolutely love studying because I like things that challenge me and keep my brain stimulated. I think if I was in a job where I didn't use my brain then I would probably end up feeling like I'm not doing anything useful. I've always thought I would like to campaign for something because I feel so strongly about deaf rights and about equal rights generally. I want to make a difference to the world - and although I probably will have to have a couple of boring moments along the way, that's my ideal in life, to make a difference for people, to support people and let them know there's people there to help them. But then again, I love to learn, especially Sociology, so I know at some point I may carry on and do a Masters degree or something similar.

Anyway...this is probably really boring but I don't care - I'm sure not many people read this anyway (especially since I get really few comments..how about none..blah). I guess we all have ambitions for our lives, but I don't think mine are so career oriented as some are. I just really want to be doing something I love doing, and have a happy life, a fulfilled one which keeps a balance. I don't want to be the kind of person who becomes lost in a career or lost as a mother/housewife etc.

I think it's difficult for women even now because although they have so much more freedom, it's quite a new freedom and quite a precious one, something that you still have to work at because there are still too many justifications for gender roles, there are still particular expectations about men and women, and it doesn't have to be like that.

It would be so good to have a real balance between genders so there is a truly equal society - one in which both men and women are seen as individuals in their own rights rather than worlds apart and completely different etc etc. I mean, all that crap about men being from mars and women from venus - I accept that we have particular hormones and physical characteristics but why should this mean women are seen as irrational and men as rational, or women as sex objects and men as the voyeurs?

I know there are some really lovely people out there and I don't mean this as an insult or anything like that. I'm just looking at a general overview rather than individuals - we are taught particular roles and that this is our lot and this is what we have to accept. But I know there are people who definitely don't accept these things. Maybe because I'm deaf I feel more aware of the injustices of things, of how things change for people according to what they look like, whether they can see or hear, where they come from, whether they are male or female. I know I'm sometimes irrational about particular things and I do apologise to ever suffering family/friends =P But I think some things need to be said, thought about and something done about them.

I'm kind of glad that I'm doing Sociology because it has really opened my eyes to what is happening in this world of ours, how it could be better and how some things should be. But I do accept that things can't change unless people actually wake up one day and think the world needs to change or everyone wakes up and changes the way they think about gender roles, about "disability" and other such subjects. There's always room for change where social life is concerned.

I've also been thinking about the things I actually want to do in my lifetime, and so I've devised a honourary list:

1. Move in with my boyfriend

2. Travel to: Japan, China, Prague, Russia, assorted States of America, Canada, Africa, the Carribean, the rest of Europe (as I've been to lots of places already, although I wouldn't mind going to them again!).

3. Have a beautiful black cat...well I don't mind what colour just as long as it's a cat!

4. Have something published (I write lyrics/poetry but perhaps I will write something of real note some day!)

5. Have my own library room...someday...

6. Ooh..perhaps I could actually have a bookshop :)

7. See as many art exhibitions as I possibly can in my lifetime

8. Have a Breakfast at Tiffany's moment outside Tiffany's in NY :)

9. Eventually have Children...although I would love to achieve most of what I want before that..most people do!

10. Have a true romantic moment in Paris, at night, with all the stars and a full moon...:)

Hmm...well...I know some of them are a bit frivolous but there's room in my life for that! I guess I really appreciate the simple things in life, those defining moments when everything seems happy in your world and you want that moment to last forever, it can just be sitting at breakfast on a Sunday morning with your boyfriend or it can be having a real laugh with your little sister or friends.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home