Fate is Chance. Destiny is Choice.

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Day To Blog For The Women Who Support Us

Bea has suggested that today, 7th February be the day when we write about a woman or a few women who have supported us and played a part in the direction that our lives have taken.

I know this may be cliched, but I would have to blog about my Mum, first and foremost. She has supported me throughout times of happiness, sadness and disappointment. She has coped with my horrendous temper tantrums (which I am ashamed to say I still throw from time to time) and my big and little mistakes, and yet hasn't been judgemental about them.

My Mum has had an interesting life - she and my Dad were very cool people back then (and mostly still are...) and they have brought the gift of a love of music, the arts and travel into my life. I doubt that I would love music so much without my parent's constant discovery of new music and bringing out the old records (my Dad is presently into the Zutons and The Killers!). Mum has been to many concerts over her lifetime - she was there for a few Beatles concerts! I always find it interesting asking about her life.

Both my parents have supported me and my sister through our difficult times due to our deafness - mostly due to other people's ignorance and the frustration we have felt at people not understanding us. My Mum has always made me feel like being Deaf is not a hindrance or a 'disability' and I think I wouldn't be so positive about being deaf without her (and my Dad's) support.

She has never been negative or pessimistic about my sister and I (although it must have been very hard to realise your daughters are deaf when first finding out) being Deaf. I worry about parents that feel that deafness is a negative thing that means children will miss out on everything - people develop their own ways of coping and often pick up their attitude about deafness from parents - so if negative, this is likely to be a bad thing for a child. So I feel lucky that my Mum and Dad have been optimistic and positive about deafness.

And I feel that now, being 22, I can begin to give something more substantial back to her with my support. I feel stronger because I know that my Mum will be there for me when I need her, and that she knows that I and my sister are there when she needs us to be. I think it's important to give back to the people that support us. I just hope my Mum knows how much I appreciate her support and encouragement over the years!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home