Fate is Chance. Destiny is Choice.

Friday, January 05, 2007

Happy New Year

So..it's 2007 - I hope everybody had a great time welcoming in the New Year whether they were partying the night away or staying in with their family watching TV (which is what I did - albeit in Edinburgh with my partner's family).

I've got a few gripes I'm going to whine about - particularly the rising train fares which is a thing close to my heart considering that my partner is in Edinburgh and we both have to fork out the extortionate prices. I don't understand the reasoning behind the fare hitch because we don't really see any of the so called 'improvements' that they've all been talking about.

Also, considering the fact that I've been travelling on GNER trains for almost 6 years and have seen and experienced first hand the prices raising steadily and the service, dare I say it, getting worse or just staying the same. Consider this - I am deaf and they still use loudspeaker announcements and no text announcements. You would have thought they could afford at least putting up a live text thing in each carriage as I've seen in some buses/bus stops and other trains (although these are few). GNER has a lot to answer for. We pay first class prices for a standard to mediocre service (on more than one occassion my reserved seat has been occupied by someone without a reservation who wouldn't budge and I've also had to stand for 5 hours in a packed train a few times, even with a seat reservation).

My partner and I travelled on an easyjet flight on Boxing day from Stansted to Edinburgh because there were no trains running - and the fare was much cheaper than a single on the train, even with taxes added (£20ish each - a train fare would likely be around £40 with a young person's railcard). It was a bit of a hassle getting there as its about a 30 minute drive from where I live - and then we had to check in and go through security and then wait around for about an hour, but I have to say it's much more exciting and has better service by far compared to trains, even on a budget airline.

I don't think it would be convenient to fly all the time though - Edinburgh's airport isn't close to my partner's house and Stansted isn't easy to get to without a car (my dad drove us on boxing day). Which is why I feel so angry and frustrated with the rising train fare prices.

My new year 'resolutions' are just generally to have a good year, much better than last year which was difficult for my family - my sister being unhappy, my dad being unhappy and my mum being unhappy. I just hope they all find some happiness in this coming year. My other main resolution is - yes its cliched - to lose weight and get fit.

Especially considering I have PCOS and a danger of diabetes. Its not to do with my appearance because I am happy with myself and the way I look (most of the time!). I do feel quite unhealthy because I don't exercise regularly enough and love my chocolate! My doctor thinks exercise is the key as I've got a very slow metabolism - and despite eating healthily, exercise is the only thing that will help. So...I'll be getting active this year! :)

I think it was quite a good year for me personally as years go - graduating, going on holiday, finding feminism and going on the Reclaim the Night march. And finding more confidence in myself socially towards the end of the year.

But whatever this year brings, I hope everyone is well and happy.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

  • Happy New Year!

    Don't get me started on how crap the trains are in this country... I think I must have my own file at Central Trains HQ for the number of letters of complaint I send to them... Not that they ever do anything as a result, but it makes me feel better.

    Have you contacted GNER re. introducing text announcements on their trains?

    By Blogger Michelle, At 8:39 pm  

  • Happy new year Michelle!

    Well its always good to write letters to people, even though they still maintain their crap services.

    I haven't contacted them re. text announcements but I have done a petition and filled out a questionnaire for the RNID (www.rnid.org.uk) in the past about transport and access. A lot of deaf people have the same experiences as I have had - no deaf awareness among staff, no text announcements, etc.

    Its crap because when there are emergencies, how are deaf people meant to know what is going on? I know it's an awful thing (and probably not very PC, I apologise!) to say but I think sometimes blind people are lucky when it comes to transport as they can at least hear what is happening with announcements etc. They have more access for blind people and people with wheelchairs than for deaf people.

    But I think I may contact GNER in the very near future to complain about the lack of access for deaf people on their trains, especially with those prices!

    By Blogger Liz, At 2:00 am  

  • Hey I just found out that I have PCOS and someone recomended this book to me.

    The PCOS diet book by Collette Harris (ISBN; 0-00-713184-4)

    By Blogger Unknown, At 11:43 am  

  • I agree trains are a pain- but I don't like cars or planes, so I'm stuck.

    You should really complain about the sole use of a loudspeaker. I'm sure the law would back you up..?
    x

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 12:06 pm  

  • Yep I think I will complain - I'll try and find someone to contact.

    Thanks Nectarine - I actually think I may have that book as I bought it when I was first diagnosed. I can't find it anywhere though, grr! Its very useful though so I think I'll be gutting my room to find it!

    By Blogger Liz, At 1:30 am  

  • My first visit here and I say: I like your title. I'd always thought of fate and destiny as synonymous but instantly I see the distinction. I like it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 5:40 am  

  • Good luck with your resolutions! x

    By Blogger L, At 7:42 pm  

  • Thanks prof.zero! :)

    And thanks Laura, I hope you are okay. I'm considering writing a post about the crapness going on in the blogosphere recently - I'm not entirely sure what is going on but some of the comments and the segregation has been really offputting and discouraging. And I've always felt that feminism is supposed to be welcoming and accepting of all kinds of people.

    By Blogger Liz, At 7:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home