Fate is Chance. Destiny is Choice.

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Little Ramblings..and stuff

Hello everyone (if anyone reads this that is!!), it's been a while since I last posted - my boyfriend's blog sums up what we have been up to the past couple of days!! Basically, I went to Edinburgh for a week and on Thurs 16th my Mum went up to Glasgow to support one of the captioners who was captioning Romeo and Juliet at the Theatre Royal - my boyfriend's Mum and I went up there to watch the performance (it was okay but not as good as some R+J performances I've seen - I went to see it at the Globe Theatre in London and it was fabby there) then we all went back to Edinburgh and my Mum stayed til Saturday.

Before that, I was doing my procedural essays to hand in for the end of term - I was doing my Humans and Other Animals essay til late on Tuesday night and on Wednesday I went to hand it all in back in York. I spent the afternoon doing a bit of shopping (lol) and had a panini in Starbucks for lunch before going back to Edinburgh. I think I must have spent loads on train tickets recently!!!

At the moment, I'm back at York for the week and I'm going home on Sunday evening. I'm pretty homesick at this point, but I've got so much work to do and I'm quite stressed, although I've been starting to read a classic book 'I Capture the Castle' by Dodie Smith to chill out with. She wrote 101 Dalmations if you're wondering who she is! 'I Capture the Castle' is truly an enchanting book so far, it's making me feel inspired as the narrator in the book is a teenager writing in her diary about the world around her and her everyday life. Sounds boring? You would be surprised, it's one of the best books I've read (so far) and I've read alot!! I'll let you know if it's worth the rather early opinion =)

Being homesick or missing people is different when you're older. I love having my independence, financially and in what I do and how I manage my time. I've learnt to appreciate the people in my life much more since I've moved to York - I can appreciate my parents as individuals and I think sometimes taking a step back means you appreciate the different relationships you have with people. In my Mum's case, I really enjoy talking to her because we both listen to each other even if we don't agree with what the other is saying. I know she means well when she points things out but I tend to get quite annoyed if I feel she's pushing me too hard about something.

However, when I go home, I tend to feel a bit stifled because I really love the independence I've got here in York. With my Dad, well, it's always been a difficult relationship but I've found that I care much more about how he is doing. He has been quite down/depressed since his father died a few years back but he is hopefully slowly putting his life back on track. My Mum always says that I'm like my Dad and I do agree because he is very stubborn, thinks alot and can be quite nervous when meeting people he doesn't know quite well. He likes to talk alot when he's with good friends though!

With my Sister, well, I miss her alot because we both understand what it's like to be a deaf person in a hearing world. I think we're quite different because although we have some similar interests (music, reading, writing), I think she's much more confident than I am or used to be when in social situations. We both have a similar sense of humour (it tends to end up with both of us rolling around on the sofa just because of pulling faces - it's called being zany!!) but I get annoyed with her because she can be quite selfish and calls me selfish for no reason sometimes (when she borrows something of mine without asking for example and I get annoyed - I don't mind if she asks me for something though!)! But it's all the sister stuff that most people get :-D

I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to going home or not after Uni is finished (that's June by the way). I've got mixed feelings about it which is understandable - it's been great having less time to travel to Edinburgh. I think we will make it work though, it's hard but I'm looking forward to when my boyfriend and I can move in together. I think it pays to be optimistic about things rather than thinking about the barriers (like money!).

Anyway, I just want to say something that my boyfriend posted on Nobleminded's blog recently (the one about having no energy etc). It's really hard when people ask you what you want to do when you leave Uni or what your ultimate 'goal' is. It's one of the most annoying questions in the whole world! I mean, all I know is that I feel strongly about deaf rights, feminism, art, reading and stuff.

Sure, I will get a job and it might not be the ultimate job but I think people expect that everyone knows what they want to do. It's an impossible question - there are lots of things that people want to do with their lives, it doesn't have to be career oriented. Like, you could have a normal job but support a charity actively and so on. It's hard when you come home at the end of a day and you're really tired but that's okay, people work hard and so what if they're not climbing a ladder.

It's good to have dreams though - it's important to have those ultimate goals that you would like to achieve, even if it's just saving enough money to go to Japan or something like that. I don't understand the whole "what is your ultimate career goal" thing. I myself want to make a difference for people, for deaf people in particular. I don't know if I'll achieve that goal but I want to and that's more important than what you are doing right now, if you know what I mean?

It's easy for people to ask what you're doing because our world is obsessed with movement and change and stuff. It doesn't always care about stability or reality any more. I mean that yes, they want you to be stable and in a job, but there always has to be something "more" or whatever. It feels as though everyone has to know what they want to do or be, especially when they're about to leave Uni, and fair enough maybe. But there doesn't have to be something specific that you have to be "doing" right now. I just wanted to remind people that the most important thing is that you believe in yourself. I know I'm quite idealistic but one of the best things about human beings is that we have the ability to believe, to be confident about ourselves and what we want in life.

It's made me think about the whole religion thing again. I mostly don't believe in God and heaven and things because I'm more interested in the here and now and what we do in the earthbound life. I think a more important thing than religion is to just be a good person, you really don't need religion to understand what being a good person morally is. I think it consists of not harming other people although the concept of harm is a good example of what has gone wrong with free speech and so on. I think people in society should accept that everyone is different and everyone has their own opinions and should be allowed to express them. Just so long as their opinions do not directly harm people, such as the belief that certain people should be killed or whatever.

We shouldn't have to live with views that incite hate and violence against women, gay people, disabled people or people with different religions and so on. It is very difficult to discern what is harmful and what isn't for example. I consider it harmful if a group of men shout obscenities at a woman or another person for example. I understand why it's hard to draw the line at certain things and why the government have had so many problems with the 'free speech' thing. It's so difficult to know where to begin when it comes to changing certain things in society - but I'm just thankful that there are pressure groups that deal with all the bad things about our society.

Anyway...I'm off to bed now I think..thanks for reading if you have!!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home