Fate is Chance. Destiny is Choice.

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Reclaim The Night 2006

Wow, where to begin?

My sister took a few photos of the crowd but they are still on the digital camera and not downloaded yet but I'll get that sorted sometime this week.

Anyway, we all gathered in Trafalgar square under good old Nelson - my mum, sister and I all looked out for the East Midland's Feminist group as I had been contacting someone from ReSisters off list (a fabby gal from Derby who came with her Mum too!) and they finally arrived. Michelle was also there (LonerGrrl) and it was great to meet another blogger. There was a large police presence protecting our democratic right to protest (as my Mum put it).

We were all given a sheet with the chants on them which everybody yelled throughout the march (a particular favourite was 'Hey Ho, Sexual Violence has to go') - I had to keep checking what my Mum was chanting though to keep up!

Then we started the march from Trafalgar square to Malet Street - making lots of noise, chanting, yelling and blowing whistles (well, witchy was!!) - we had a few arseholes that tried to shout louder than us but we managed to shout louder (plus, we outnumbered them...) outside a pub on the corner near Leicester square. A few women joined us from off the street (which was fabulous!) and we got lots of thumbs up and a few people waving from shop windows and on the pavements. I loved seeing a little boy and his Dad waving from the top of Borders (or Waterstones) :-D

It was amazing to be marching with women from all walks of life, who felt the same injustice and anger that I've been feeling. And feeling that we were walking for the women that have been subject to violence, injustice, objectification and pain that couldn't be there. It was so empowering, and one of those experiences that you will pass to other people - to empower other women and men to reject violence against women. To speak up for those who cannot speak or who are afraid to speak.

We arrived in Malet street for the rally and party - and sat down to listen to women talking about their experiences and feminism. My mum translated the speeches for me, so I did get most of what was being said. And it was good to see some men there too - to know that there are men out there who understand what feminism is all about (we are not man haters).

For me, it was an empowering and affirming experience. The atmosphere was accepting and felt safe. Too often I've been in situations where I felt I was being judged - either for being deaf or for being a woman. Or both. Its hard to be in situations where when you explain to someone that you are deaf, they get that look in their eyes as though they've made a judgement about you (oh, she's deaf, that must mean she's stupid) and don't make the effort to make sure you know what they are saying. Or as a woman - feeling as though someone is judging your appearance (both men and women) or dismissing what you are saying (because apparently women have nothing relevant to say, yuk!).

It inspired me to undertake more feminist activism - stickering, attending protests, writing to people and generally supporting women's organisations. And I'm going back next year :D

Lets make our voices heard as women.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

  • Hey Lizzie,

    Lovely to meet you too! I think we did rather well, didn't we? Going on a protest like that is really empowering and inspires you to do more. Hopefully meet up with you, protesting again at some point! x

    By Blogger Michelle, At 8:05 pm  

  • Yay, I know it was amazing, its such a rush to do something so empowering.

    Yep we all did really well and it was great to meet you. And I'm sure we will all meet again! :-)

    By Blogger Liz, At 1:04 am  

  • Was lovely to meet you :)

    We should have chanted 'This is what empowerment looks like, this is what empowerment feels like...'

    One for next year methinks.

    By Blogger L, At 11:21 am  

  • So sorry I missed you. I was nodding all through your post!

    Sparkle* x

    By Blogger sparklematrix, At 1:17 am  

  • There's sure to be other times when I can meet you all!

    I've checked the photos and it turns out there aren't that many..but I'll post one or two when I get a chance :)

    By Blogger Liz, At 8:33 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home